The family of an 11-year-old boy who died last week in Conroe during power outages while Texas endured a freezing winter storm is suing Entergy Texas and operator of the state’s power grid for a total of $100 million.
In the lawsuit filed Saturday, the family said Cristian Pineda died of hypothermia after the temperature in his house plunged due to the forced blackouts. Pineda’s family of five shared a single room for warmth, and Cristian shared a bed with his younger brother, the lawsuit states.
The family is suing the Electric Reliability Council of Texas, which operates the decentralized electrical grid system. The Texas grid is not governed by federal regulations.
“ERCOT failed all Texans, and allowed providers to fail Texans,” Houston attorney Tony Buzbee wrote in the lawsuit on behalf of the Pinedas. He said his office is filing seven other lawsuits against the operator and several electric providers related to last week’s outages. Buzbee said he thinks this will be a “landmark case” and will help shed light on why energy providers made the decisions they did.
The lawsuit said ERCOT and Entergy failed to “adequately inform” the Pineda family of the length of the blackouts, initially saying they would be rolling or temporary.
“Accurate information might have saved Cristian Pineda’s young life,” the lawsuit stated.